Chapter 1 & 2
1) Describe Maycomb, Alabama.
2) Describe Calpurnia.
3) What is Dill’s claim to fame?
4) Why was Arthur Radley in trouble with the law?
5) How did Arthur escape going to the industrial school?
6) Why did Mrs. Radley run into the street screaming that Arthur was killing them all?
7) Where was Arthur locked up?
8) Why doesn’t Arthur come out of the house after his father dies?
9) Why is Scout in trouble with the teacher on her firstday of school?
10) What does Atticus mean when he says that professional people are poor because farmers are poor?
Chapters 3 & 4
1) How does Scout get in trouble at dinner?
2) Why does Miss Caroline send Burris Ewell home?
3) How does Burris respond to being sent home?
4) Why doesn’t Scout want to go to school?
5) What does Atticus suggest is the way to get along with people?
6) Will Atticus continue to read to Scout?
7) Describe the Ewells.
8) Where does Scout receive the majority of her education?
9) What does Scout find in the tree at the Radley house?
10) What do Jem and Scout find in the hiding place?
11) What is a Hot Steam?
12) How does Scout end up at the front steps of the Radley house?
13) What does Scout think she hears as she crawls out of the tire?
Chapters 5 & 6
1) Describe Miss Maudie.
2) What does Miss Maudie mean when she says, “sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whiskey bottle in the had of—oh, of your father” (p. 45)?
3) Why do Dill and Jem go for a walk at night?
4) What does Jem say that makes Scout decide to join them?
5) Whose shadow do Dill and Jem see when Jem is on the porch of the house?
6) What does Dill say happened to Jem’s pants? What really happened to them?
7) Why does Jem feel he has to go back for his pants?
Chapters 7 & 8
8) What happens when Jem goes back for his pants?
9) What does Atticus mean he tells Scout “to delete the adjectives and [she would] have the facts” (p. 59) about Jem’s strange behavior?
10) What is the biggest prize Scout and Jem find in the tree’s knot-hole?
11) Why does Scout scream and tell Atticus the world is ending?
12) What do Jem and Scout use to make a snowman? Who does the snowman look like?
13) Why does Atticus think Jem and Scout disobeyed him when he told them to stay in front of the Radley house?
14) What is Miss Maudie’s reaction to her destroyed house?
1) What makes Scout forget that she is too old and too big for fighting?
2) Does Atticus think he will win TomRobinson’s case? Why or why not?
3) What is Uncle Jack’s profession?
4) What does Francis say about Dill?
5) Why doesn’t Scout think Uncle Jackunderstands children?
6) Name 1 thing Atticus says children outgrow and 1 thing that they don’t.
7) Why is it a sin to kill a mockingbird?
8) What was Atticus’ nickname when he was a boy? Why?
9) Why do the children dislike Mrs. Dubose?
10) What does Mrs. Dubose want Jem to doafter he destroys her camellias?
11) Why does Mrs. Dubose suffer from “fits”when Jem and Scout visit her?12) What does Mrs. Dubose give Atticus togive to Jem after she dies?
13) Why will Scout be unable to see Dill this summer?
14) Why do Jem and Scout go to church with Cal?
15) Why aren’t there any hymn books at Cal’s church?
16) How old is Cal? When is her birthday?
17) Who is waiting on the front steps of the Finch house when the children and Cal return from church?
1) Why has Aunt Alexandra come to stay with the Finches?
2) What is Aunt Alexandra’s preoccupation?
3) What does Aunt Alexandra want Atticus to do aboutCalpurnia?
4) What does Jem find under Scout’s bed?
5) Why doesn’t Dill like his new parents?
6) Why does Dill say Boo Radley has never run off?
7) Where do the children find Atticus?
8) How does Scout get the mob to leave?
9) Why are so many people passing by the Finch house?
10) Where does Miss Stephanie say she is going?
11) What type of people make up the jury?
12) Who is seated on the witness stand?
1) Describe Mayella Ewell’s injuries.
2) Who is the second witness called to the stand?
3) Where do the Ewells live? Describe their living conditions.
4) What is the one bright spot in the Ewells’ yard?
5) Why does Atticus ask Mr. Ewell to write his name?
6) Who is the third witness called to the stand?
7) How old is Mayella?
8) What is revealed about Tom Robinson when he stands up?
9) What happened to Tom Robinson’s left arm?
10) Why is this revelation important to the case?
11) Prediction: Who will be Atticus’ one witness?
12) How old is Tom?
13) Why was Tom in trouble with the law before?
14) What does Tom say is the reason he entered the Ewell house on November 21st?
15) Who is Link Deas?
16) What does Link Deas do to get kicked out of the courtroom?
17) Why is Dill crying?
1) What is in Dolphus Raymond’s paper sack?
2) Why does Dolphus let people believe it is alcohol?
3) According to Atticus, what is the one way in this country that all men are created equal?
1) Why has Calpurnia come to the courthouse?
2) What is the jury’s decision in Tom Robinson’s case?
1) What doesTom Robinson’s dad send Atticus?
2) What else is brought to the Finch home?
3) What does Miss Maudie have for the children?
4) What doesDill say he wants to be when he grows up? Why?
5) What does Miss Stephanie tell the children about their father?
1) What is the only thing Atticus will say about the incident with Mr. Ewell?
2) Who was the one person on the jury who wanted an acquittal for Tom Robinson?
3) What is the new reason Jem thinks Boo Radley stays in his house all the time?
1)Describe the ladies at the missionary circle.
2)Why does Atticus come home early during the missionary circle?
1)What doesScout find on the floor of the house?
2)How does Helen Robinson react to the news of Tom’s death?
3)What does Miss Stephanie say that Mr. Ewell said about Tom’s death?
4)What grades are Scout and Jem entering in Chapter 26?
5)What is Jem’s responsibility on the football team?
6)Why is Scout confused about Miss Gates’ dislike of Hitler?
7)Briefly describe the three small, out-of-the-ordinary happenings during October.
8)What do the children do with the Misses Barber’s furniture?
9)What part does Scout play in the Halloween pageant?
10)Who takesScout to the pageant?
11)Who scaresJem and Scout on the way to the pageant?
12)Why doesScout miss her cue in the pageant?
13)What happensto Jem and Scout on their way home?
14)Who hurts thechildren? What happens to him?
15)Prediction: Who carried Jem home?
1)What does Mr. Tate say probably save Scout’s life?
2)How did Scout know she was under the tree when someone grabbed her?
3)Who does Scout think pulled Mr. Ewell down when he was attacking her?
4)Who is the man standing in the corner of Jem’s room?
5)How does Scout react to seeing Boo for the first time?
6)Why does Scout lead Boo to the chair farthest from Atticus and Mr. Tate?
7)Who does Atticus think killed Bob Ewell?
8)How does Mr.Tate say Bob Ewell was killed?
9)Why does Atticus think Mr. Tate is saying Bob Ewell killed himself?
10)Who does Sheriff Tate really think is responsible for Bob Ewell’s death?
11)What does Boo ask Scout as she leads him to the front porch to leave?
12)After Scout walks Boo home, what does she regret?